Join us September 12-16, 2022 for The Ohio State University Career and Internship Week, brought to you by Buckeye Careers and the Office of Student Life! Career and Internship Week will consist of a variety of programs, workshops and networking events to help Ohio State students in their own personal career development journeys. Each program participating in Career and Internship Week 2022 will fall into at least one of the following themes:
- Career Wellness (CW)
- Identity, Inclusion and Advocacy (IIA)
- Career Exploration and Connections (CEC)
- Skills Preparation (SP)
The Fall Career and Internship Fair will take place Tuesday, September 13, 2022 from 1-5 p.m. EST (in-person) and Wednesday, September 14, 2022 2-6 p.m. EST (via Handshake). Please contact Tara Nord with questions regarding Career and Internship Week.
Monday, September 12, 2022
10-11 a.m. Resume Workshop - presented virtually by Ryan Wilhelm from Buckeye Careers
Your resume is often your first chance to make a positive impression on a prospective employer. Whether this is your first time writing a resume, or you are looking for tips to update and tailor your resume for a new opportunity, this workshop will provide you with relevant and practical information.
10:30-11:30 a.m. Interviewing from an Employer’s Perspective - presented virtually by Cait Flickinger and Caitlin LaVon from DHL
- Whether in person or virtual, interviewing for a job can be intimidating. But it doesn’t have to be! DHL Supply Chain invites you to hear from Caitlin LaVon, Director, College Recruit Programs, on how to navigate the interview journey from start to finish by giving you an inside look at our perspective of the process. Through this session, we hope you find a new tactic to implement that will help you gain more confidence in your interviewing skills!
11-12 p.m. Leveraging Handshake - presented virtually by Mollie Workman from Buckeye Careers
- You will learn how to make the most out of Handshake to find a part time job, internship, or full time job. This workshop will empower you to research potential employers, and to use Handshake to contact them. You will also learn how to use Handshake for career exploration and to find out what other students with similar majors and interests have done.
11:30-12:30 p.m. What’s Your Call to Serve? Launching a Career in the Federal Government - presented virtually by Logan Kohl from Partnership for Public Service
- The Partnership for Public Service invites you to “What’s Your Call to Serve: Launching a Career in Federal Government,” a session open to all students who are curious about public service opportunities and how to make a difference in their community through federal employment. The session will feature guidance for applying to government jobs and include an overview of paid federal internships.
3:30- 4:15 p.m. Personal Finance: Your 1st Paycheck - presented virtually by Sheri Coldwell from TE Connectivity
- Your Personal Finance Workshop! Teaching the basics, understanding your 1st paycheck and budgeting Tips that REALLY work!
5:30-6:30 p.m. Virtual Career Fair Prep - presented virtually by Mollie Workman from Buckeye Careers
- Learn the basics of registering and signing up for any virtual career fair on Handshake. At the end of this session you will know how to sign up, research and make sure your settings are ready for the virtual fair. There will be a quick demo, some tips and time for questions.
Tuesday, September 13, 2022
7-8:15 p.m. Disability Visibility - presented virtually by Christina Costa from Teach for America
- In 2020, psychologist and educator Christina Costa was faced with a stunning irony - she had a tumor in the right hemisphere of her brain. Through her recovery journey Christina, @ms.christinacosta, accelerated her advocacy for intersectional, inclusive teaching and disruption of systemic inequities. As someone whose neurodiversity is invisible, Christina celebrates differences both visible and not, and teaches that inclusive education is accessible education - and accessibility isn't optional.
Wednesday, September 14, 2022
9:30-10:30 a.m. Networking and Your Personal Brand- presented in-person by Olivia Reiff from Northwestern Mutual
Rosa Allabouni Room, The Ohio Union
- We are going to be talking about networking and creating your personal brand. It’s my hope that by the end of this session, you will have a better understanding of how to network effectively and be able to create a professional, personal brand for yourself.
11-12 p.m. Skill Preparation and Career Readiness - presented virtually by Amy Mizer from C.H. Robinson
- We will go over the basic skills most employers are looking for in a candidate. We will also focus time on resume best practices and interview preparation, with the intent of highlighting skills in meaningful and creative ways.
11:30-12:30 p.m. Find Your Passion @LEVY - The Best Career In Sports & Entertainment - presented in-person by Kenzie Young from Levy
Rosa Allabouni Room, The Ohio Union
- It’s not about the food, it’s not about the game or the team, it’s all about the GUEST and their experience and of course it’s about YOU…BECAUSE YOU MAKE THAT HAPPEN. Come listen and hear how YOU can make that leap into the world of sports and entertainment by joining our team here at Levy at The Ohio State University.
12-1 p.m. Networking for Graduate and Postdocs - presented virtually by Ryan Wilhelm from Buckeye Careers
- Networking is an essential tool for both career exploration and your job search. This event will discuss the importance of networking, the purpose of connecting with other professionals, and strategies on how to communicate with employers about skills, experiences, and career goals in order to enhance prospects in the job market.
Thursday, September 15, 2022
10-11 a.m. You’ve Got Skills! Now Transfer them! - presented virtually by Rachel Stefanic from OSU Dining Services
- This workshop will define and explore the transferable skills needed for current student employment and future career preparation. Through an interactive exercise and group discussion, attendees will explore the skills they have and identify the skills they need for future or current employment. Finally, we will examine how to best market those skills to a future employer.
11-12 p.m. Maximizing you LinkedIn Profile - presented virtually by Matt Gakstetter and Brian Schumann from Sherwin Williams
- Refining your profile to get the best job search results.
12-1 p.m. Disclosing Time: Is There A Last Call To Request Reasonable Accommodations? - presented virtually by Dustin Schwab from Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities
- Is there ever a deadline to disclose a disability to an employer? How do you start the conversation to request an accommodation at work? In this session, we will discuss disclosing a disability, advocating for yourself at work, and requesting reasonable accommodations.
12:30-1:30 p.m. Leveraging Handshake for International Students- presented virtually by Mollie Workman (Buckeye Careers) and Kim Anthony (Office of International Affairs)
- This workshop session is geared specifically towards International students with facilitators from both Buckeye Careers and OIA. Do you want to connect with employers, research job and internship opportunities, and even chat with students who have already had your dream job or internship? Every Ohio State student can explore job and internship opportunities through Handshake. You will learn how to make the most out of Handshake to find a part time job, internship, or full time job. This workshop will empower you to research potential employers, and to use Handshake to contact them. You will also learn how to use Handshake for career exploration and to find out what other students with similar majors and interests have done.
1-2 p.m. Per My Last Email…Professionalism in the Digital World - presented virtually by Jordan Helcbergier from OSU Student Wellness
- We live, learn, play, and socialize in the digital space – but how do our online interactions translate to the professional setting? Join the Student Life Student Wellness Center to learn about digital wellness and how to improve your professional interactions online. During this interactive presentation, participants will learn and practice the do’s and don’ts of professional etiquette in the digital world. Online interactions, including email and networking, will be discussed and participants will learn about boundary setting and privacy.
5:30-6:30 p.m. Leveraging Handshake for Graduate and Professional Students - presented virtually by Mollie Workman from Buckeye Careers
- You will learn how to make the most out of Handshake to find a part time job, internship, fellowship or full time job. This workshop will empower you to research potential employers, and to use Handshake to contact them. You will also learn how to use Handshake for career exploration and to find out what other students with similar graduate programs and interests have done.
Friday, September 16, 2022
10-11 a.m. Effective Interviewing Skills - presented virtually by Ana Berrios from Buckeye Careers
- Highlights what to do before, during, and after an interview, emphasizing interviewing strategies and techniques. Includes samples of questions and how to answer them, as well as useful suggestions to enhance confidence.
10:30-11:30 a.m. Personal Branding - presented virtually by Juliee White from Penske Truck Leasing
- In this presentation, Penske Truck Leasing will help you identify strengths, align them with company objectives, and better prepare you for your next role. A breakout session/activity will be planned to showcase the importance of personal branding to help put your best foot forward when launching your career.
11-12 p.m. Grad School 101 - presented virtually by Mollie Workman from Buckeye Careers
- Tips and tricks for navigating the graduate school application process.
11-12 p.m. From Not-working to Networking: Tips to Making the Most of Your Connections - presented virtually by Megan Donnelly from Momentive Performance Materials
- Whether you’ve never networked before or you’re a pro, this session covers networking tips and strategies for different scenarios you may encounter through your academic and professional career. Join Megan Donnelly, Talent Specialist at Momentive Performance Materials for this discussion where you can figure out how to make your network work for you.
11:30-12:30 p.m. UNpacking Your Offer Package: Understanding Total Rewards and Your Complete Offer - presented virtually by Amber Retke from Bread Financial
- While your first full time offers after college are exciting to receive, the information they contain can also be overwhelming. While salary is certainly a key element of a job offer, it is by no means the only point of consideration. Join Bread Financial in our total rewards workshop to gain an understanding of the aspects that make up a job offer package, how to review them, negotiate them, and more accurately compare the offers you are receiving.
1:30-2:30 p.m. Resume Building 101 - presented virtually by Lauren Toomey from City Year
- Come learn from a Recruiter the basic tips and tricks for creating a seamless resume to enter your job search with!
2-3 p.m. What is Your Career Story Going to Say? - presented virtually by Tanya Allen from Ohio Deptartment of Natural Resources
- You create the story by your actions…from first impressions, to landing the position, to taking your career to the next level! An experienced Recruiter, Tanya Allen, guides you through the process.
If you require an accommodation such as live captioning or interpretation to participate in this event, please contact Tara Nord at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests made two weeks before the event will generally allow us to provide seamless access, but the university will make every effort to meet requests made after this date.
If you have a disability and rely on a screen reader or the keyboard for access to your computer you will experience difficulty using Handshake. As the university works with Handshake to improve accessibility, please contact email@example.com for assistance in navigating and using this application. A member of our team will respond within 2 business days to assist you.