Internship Resources and Best Practices
Buckeye Careers and Internships
Student Life Buckeye Careers is here to help with internship consultation, creation and recruitment. We are a resource for best practices in creating internships, as well as a gateway into recruiting students at Ohio State. Buckeye Careers consults and advises employers in developing internship positions and programs based on the needs of the organization.
What is an internship?
Internships are characterized by the following:
- A defined start and end date
- Clearly defined project-based learning objectives and goals that align with the student’s academic pursuits
- Supervision and regular performance feedback by a professional with education and expertise in the field
Internships can be paid or unpaid, and credit bearing or non-credit bearing.
Why create an internship?
Internships provide students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths. They give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate the immense amount of talent at Ohio State.
How to create an internship
- Draft a position description for the internship opportunity.
- Determine the timeframe for the internship; internships have a defined beginning and end.
- Review and confirm compensation and benefits.
- Develop an internship orientation and defined learning objectives and goals.
- Determine supervisor or manager; this should be a professional with expertise and professional background in the field of the experience.
- Determine the evaluation process; regular feedback should be provided by the supervisor.
- Plan for social activities and interaction with staff and leaders throughout the organization.
Why should your company look into hiring interns?
- Interns are a cost-effective sourcing and recruiting strategy, as well as an early identification of diverse entry level talent.
- Programs have potential to reduce new-hire turnover and build bench strength. Students will become acclimated to the company culture and processes throughout the internship or co-op.
- Interns are a flexible, cost-effective work force not requiring a long-term employer commitment.
- Students bring new perspective to old problems.
- Image in the community is enhanced as you contribute your expertise to the educational enterprise.
How much should you pay an intern?
Internships can also be paid or unpaid opportunities. Below are some resources when considering compensation for interns:
- Business Internships
- Education and Human Ecology Internships
- Engineering Internships and Co-ops: Hourly Wages
- Fair Labor Standards Act and unpaid internships
- NACE General Guidelines for Internship Pay
- Sign-on Bonus Guidelines for Interns and Co-ops
- Salaries for 2018 Graduates
- Salary Projections for 2019 and 2020 Graduates
Why should your company partner with Ohio State and hire our students?
- Numbers and Quality of Students: You will have access to over 60,000 students across 200+ majors and nearly 500 specializations. Ohio State is one of the most innovative universities in the nation, is ranked #1 among public universities in Ohio and top 20 in the nation.
- Career Ready Students: Ohio State students graduate highly prepared and poised to thrive in their careers. A recent higher education ranking recognized Ohio State graduates among the 20 “most employable” in the United States and in the top 60 in the world.
- Customer Service: Our Buckeye Careers team and campus partners are responsive and provide top notch service levels throughout your experience.
How to recruit for your new internship at Ohio State?
How do you begin recruiting Ohio State students?
Whether you are developing a new internship, expanding an existing program or exploring options to create a pipeline of talent, we are here to support you. Contact Buckeye Careers at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance, and join our mailing list for periodic updates and tips about creating and managing an internship program.